Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Coconut Pecan Pie Bars


I was so prepared to not like these. I don't like pecans. I don't like pecan pie. There was no way I was going to want to eat these. Which is why I thought it was safe to make them even though Dan is out of town.


But when they came out of the oven they smelled so good. I thought, I'll just take one little bite out of the corner, just to see if they're good. And then I needed a piece- just a small piece. And then I had two more pieces after dinner.


What is happening?? I don't even like pecans! Seriously, forget the pecan pie this year. These are so much easier. You don't even need a mixer. And the crust is like one huge amazing shortbread cookie. O.M.G. Thank goodness I have hungry neighbors.


Coconut Pecan Pie Bars
Yield: 16 bars

Ingredients:
For the crust:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
4 Tbsp (half stick) unsalted butter, softened

For the filling:
2 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp corn syrup
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup chocolate chunks
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup shredded coconut

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x9'' square pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. For the crust, in a medium bowl, mix together the flour and brown sugar. Add butter and use a fork and then your hands to combine. The dough should be crumbly but will hold together when pressed.
3. Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake 12-15 minutes or until light golden. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. Meanwhile, make the filling. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Add the corn syrup, butter, and vanilla extract. With a rubber spatula, fold in chocolate, nuts, and coconut. Pour evenly over baked crust.
5. Bake bars 25-30 minutes or until filling is set. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cool completely and cut into 16 bars. Store in a cool place.

Recipe Notes
  • The crust may look cracked after it is baked, but that's ok. It will stay together with the filling inside.
  • Grease the pan very generously! 
  • If my house was warmer or I was making these in the middle of summer, I might store them in the fridge, but they can be left, wrapped well, at a cool room temperature.

Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker

1 comment:

  1. These sound wonderful! I can't wait to try the recipe. thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...