Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fluffernutter Cupcakes

Would you believe me if I told you that up until a few days ago I had never bought marshmallow fluff before?



Well, would you believe me if I told you that yesterday I stood 6 inches away from the president?



Because I hadn't and I DID.

It's hard to decide which was more exciting.


Ok fine, it's not that hard. Seeing President Obama speak for the first time in such a small setting was pretty unreal. Not to mention seeing the back of my head in news footage and photos since we were front and center. My hair is like, sooo famous you guys.

But on to more important things, like cupcakes.


I have to admit, I've never actually had a fluffernutter sandwich. In case your name is Dan you were deprived as a child and don't even know what the heck I'm talking about, a fluffernutter sandwich is made up of three components: white bread, smooth peanut butter, and marshmallow fluff. It's like a PB&J on crack.

And since we don't have any white bread, what better way to experience this flavor combination than in cupcake form?


I think my addiction to peanut butter has been well documented, so can I just ask, why has it taken me this long to make peanut butter cupcakes?? I'm trying to come up with all the different flavor combinations to try, but honestly, all I can think about is chocolate. Wait- peanut butter, marshmallow, and chocolate? I think I've just had a crazy brilliant idea.


Fluffernutter Cupcakes
Yield: 12 cupcakes

Ingredients:
For the Peanut Butter Cupcakes
1/4 unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup milk
2/3 cups peanut butter chips

For the Marshmallow Frosting
1/2 lb (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
7 Tbsp vegetable shortening
2 cups marshmallow fluff
2 cups powdered sugar
Melted peanut butter to garnish (I microwaved mine for 30 sec)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners and set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and peanut butter until smooth and incorporated. There should be no visible pieces of butter.
3. Add the sugar and cream. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the vanilla extract.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add half the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Mix on low until almost incorporated. Add the milk, continuing to mix. Add the remaining dry ingredients. Mix until almost incorporated.
5. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the peanut butter chips and fully incorporate the flour. Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
6. While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and vegetable shortening on medium speed until very smooth and creamy, 3-4 minutes. Add the marshmallow fluff and mix just to combine. Add the powdered sugar and continue to mix on medium to med-high speed until very light and fluffy, another 5-7 minutes.
7. When cupcakes are completely cool, fit a piping bag with a coupler and a small star tip and fill with icing. Push the tip through the top of the cupcake until it's about halfway into the cupcake and fill with frosting. Be careful not to overfill or the cupcake may break. Once all the cupcakes are filled, switch to a larger piping tip (I used just a plain tip) and frost cupcakes as desired. Drizzle with melted peanut butter, if desired. Store in the refrigerator but serve at room temperature.

Recipe Notes
  • If you don't want to use a piping bag to fill the cupcakes, use a small knife to cut out some of the center of the cupcake from the top (don't worry, the hole will be hidden with frosting). Spoon some frosting into the hole and frost the top.
  • You can choose to just frost the cupcakes without filling them. They will still be delicious!


Peanut Butter Cupcakes Recipe from How Sweet Eats

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...