Saturday, August 6, 2011

Hummus


I created this recipe sort of on a whim. We had cans of chickpeas that were just taking up space in the pantry and I wasn't sure what to do with them. I don't like them in salads and, well, that was pretty much the only thing I could think of. That, and hummus. So I threw some stuff in my food processor and started pulsing.

There was one little hiccup. Since I hadn't planned on making hummus, I didn't have any tahini, which is essentially a sesame paste and is usually a staple ingredient in hummus. I did, however, have sesame seeds and sesame oil, so I tossed those in the food processor first to make my own paste.

I know, Martha Stewart, watch out.

Of course, if you're planning ahead and have the opportunity to buy tahini, be my guest. Since I created the recipe without it, I've continued to make mine with just the sesame seeds and oil, so I can't really advise how much or how little tahini to use, but I would say, start with a little and add more gradually depending on how much sesame flavor you like.

You should know ahead of time that this won't give you the super smooth hummus like you buy in the grocery store. It has to do with the little casings that are on the outside of chickpeas, which I'm pretty sure you can remove. A long time ago I read about removing them but I think the process was kind of long and tedious, so I opted out. But if you're really interested, I'm sure you can do some googling and figure it out, although for me, the texture of this hummus is just fine. It's just got a little more body, feels a little more "natural," if you will. (UPDATED: I made chipotle pepper hummus and went to the trouble of taking the skins off. Click over to check out the differences.)

Plus, one of the biggest perks of making your own hummus is the same thing that Fro-Yo retailers nationwide have seriously capitalized on: the mix-ins.

You can add...
Roasted garlic
Pesto and pine nuts
Fresh herbs
Lots of crushed red pepper flakes
Roasted red peppers
More lemon juice, etc. etc.

I'm providing you with just the basic recipe for now, but I expect a full report of any great flavors you dream up.


Hummus

Ingredients:

3 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
15.5 oz canned chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
1 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp lemon juice

Directions:

1. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, combine sesame seeds and sesame oil. Process 1 minute.
2. To food processor, add chickpeas and process until you get a paste.
3. With processor still running, add olive oil and 1/4 cup of reserved chickpea liquid through feed tube.
4. Stop food processor and scrape down sides. Add spices and lemon juice. Process to incorporate. For a smoother consistency add more reserved liquid a teaspoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
5. Serve alongside toasted pita chips and sliced raw veggies. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...