Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Strawberry Balsamic Ice Cream


It's rare that I create something in the kitchen that even I'm impressed by, specifically if it's a recipe of my own creation. Now, I'm not willing to say this is the best ice cream I've ever had (hello, there's no chocolate in it), but what nearly sent me over the moon is that it tastes exactly how I wanted it to.

Although the recipe is 100% mine, I can't take all of the credit for this creation. Earlier this summer I tried this flavor combination at a local ice cream shop but wasn't impressed; it tasted like plain strawberry ice cream, with no balsamic to speak of.

It may not be winning any beauty pageants anytime soon, but it does look a little pinker in person and not so brown.

This version, however, is spot on. The strawberries make it sweet and fruity but the balsamic gives it just the slightest bit of tang. Perhaps the second best thing about this ice cream is that it's really simple to make. There's no tempering eggs, or heating over low and stirring constantly until it's just right, to trip you up. Blend everything together, churn in an ice cream maker, you're done.

You'll notice that I used frozen strawberries instead of fresh which is because a) I haven't tasted a great fresh strawberry in months, and b) you can find frozen all-year round so you can make this whenever you want. I chose to use organic because out of all the frozen strawberries you can buy, I'm betting these probably taste the best; plus, eating organically when I can makes me happy.

Warning: reducing vinegar makes it super potent. Chances are your entire house will smell long after you're finished cooking it, and if you lean in too close to the steam coming out of the pot, you'll end up in a coughing spell with your eyes burning. Just ask Dan.


Strawberry Balsamic Ice Cream
Yield: 1 1/2 quarts

Ingredients:
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
10 oz (2 cups) organic frozen strawberries, thawed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 pint heavy cream

Directions:
1. Pour balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and lower heat so vinegar is simmering. Continue to simmer until it is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
2. Combine strawberries, sugar, and reduced vinegar in food processor or blender. Pulse to combine. Add heavy cream.
3. Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 4 hours, or until solid.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...