Friday, September 9, 2011

Chicken Salad


Growing up, there was this little neighborhood market near my dad's house that had the BEST chicken salad. It wasn't overly dressed or salty, the chicken meat was high quality and the perfect bite size, and they used the magic ingredient: fresh dill.  

I think this recipe is a close approximation of what it tasted like (although I still think Bazemore's was better; how did they do it?!), and is also based on my favorite potato salad recipe that combines mayonnaise, tangy mustard, and beautiful bright fresh dill. The celery and red onion add a much needed crunchy texture as well as a little heat. And I love that you can see all that fresh dill and whole grain mustard throughout the salad so you know exactly what to expect it to taste like.

Chicken Salad
Yield: 3 cups

Ingredients: 
2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp milk
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp whole grain mustard
1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

Directions:
1. In a large combine chicken, celery, and onion.
2. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, milk, and both mustards. Add dill.
3. Pour as much dressing over the chicken as you would like (I used it all). Stir to coat evenly. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
4. Refrigerate for at least thirty minutes, or until chilled. Serve cold.

1 comment:

  1. BAZEMORE'S!!!!!!!! I was obsessed. I could have easily been at least 3lbs lighter in high school had I never discovered their chicken salad.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...