Monday, November 14, 2011

Cold Spicy Thai Noodles


Do you ever have that magical moment when you see a new recipe and realize you actually have all the necessary ingredients in your stockpile? For me, that was the case for my Dirty Blondies, but these Thai Noodles came pretty close too. Aside from the garnishes, I had everything I needed!


I'm sorry I didn't time myself while I made these because I suspect that in the time it took for the pasta water to boil and the noodles to cook, I had prepped all the garnishes and the sauce. Unfortunately, I still had to wait a couple hours for the noodles to chill, but let me tell you, they were worth the wait. Spicy and savory, but still refreshing thanks to the cool noodles, crunchy carrots, and fresh herbs. But make no mistake, this is spicy! It'll make your lips burn and clear out your sinuses.

Mmm, hurts so good

Cold Spicy Thai Noodles
Yield: Serves 2-3 as a main course; or 4-6 as a side

Ingredients:
1/2 lb spaghetti
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup sesame oil
2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp soy sauce
Squeeze of lime juice
1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
3 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
1/4 cup peanuts, roughly chopped

Directions:
1. In a small sauce pan, combine both oils and crushed red pepper. Heat over medium heat just until it begins to bubble. Cook for another 2 minutes then remove from the heat. Let the oil steep while the pasta cooks.
2. Prepare spaghetti according to package directions. Strain and set aside.
3. In the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, and lime juice. Position a fine mesh strainer (or a strainer lined with cheesecloth) over the bowl. Pour the reserved oil through the strainer. Discard the chili flakes. Whisk the sauce until emulsified.
4. Pour the reserved pasta into the bowl and toss to combine. Refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
5. When ready to serve, toss pasta with carrots, onions, and cilantro, and garnish with peanuts. Serve cold or at room temperature.

Recipe Notes:
  • I used my vegetable peeler to get the long shreds of carrot.
  • You could definitely add some cooked chicken, meat, or tofu to beef this up a bit and serve it as a main course.
  • For a milder version, use just 1 tsp red pepper flakes.
Adapted from A Small Snippet

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...