Monday, July 25, 2011

Heatpocalypse 2011, a DC Survival Guide

I drove up to DC this weekend to visit my sister. In an effort not to melt our faces off in the heat, we did a healthy amount of drinking, quite a bit of eating, and lots of sweating.

We didn't see any monuments, but we did see the last Harry Potter movie (although even that outing was almost thwarted by broken A/C. You know it's hot when it's almost too hot to go to the movies).

A sampling of our weekend survival guide, if you will:

 Refreshing drinks at Circa in Clarendon

My sister's idea of grocery shopping for my visit...

 ...Directly leading to my first taste of the infamous Whole Foods Chocolate Chewie

"Frickles" at Old Glory in Georgetown
(that's fried pickles and jalepenos for all you Northerners)

Pitt Dogg with collard Greens at Old Glory

Brunch at Birch & Barley: scene of the doughnut hole massacre, 2011

 Bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit from Birch & Barley 
(clearly my sister's breakfast since I think eggs are gross and she, well, doesn't)
I must admit, the Whole Foods Chocolate Chewie was disappointing.

That's right, I said it. I wanted fudgy chewiness and instead got crunchy chewiness. And I was not a fan. Sorry Whole Foods, not a winner in my book.

But if eating a mediocre chocolate cookie was the low point of the weekend, I think we can categorize it as a success.

Besides, all that sweating surely counteracted all the drinking...right?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm hot dogs. And yes I am writing this at 1:14am on Wed morning...--Alex

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...